So what kind of care do your leather goods need to keep them in great shape for years to come? The most vital step is regular conditioning.
Leather conditioners serve a dual purpose: they cleanse leather by safely removing dirt and grime from the material, and they also help preserve it. Without proper care, leather can turn hard and rigid over time, making it prone to cracks and deterioration. Conditioning, however, helps to keep it supple, prolonging the lifespan of the material and maximizing its usability for years to come. Here, you could check a photo of my Acura seats and door panel before/after. That’s pretty amazing.
Best Leather Conditioners 2018
If you don’t already make a habit of conditioning your leather goods, it’s never too late to start! This guide will offer product reviews of the top ten leather conditioners available on the market today, a comparison table that will break down their various features, and a buyer’s guide that will help you understand how leather conditioner works and what to look for when purchasing one.
|8 oz, 16 oz, |
32 oz, 64 oz,
|USA||Unlimited 100% |
|Bickmore Bick 4||2 oz, 8 oz, 16 oz||USA||Great for restoring old|
|Chemical Guys |
|16 oz (2 Items)||USA||Cleaner and Conditioner|
|LeatherNu||n/a||USA||Complete Color |
Restoration & Repair Kit
|TriNova||8 oz||USA||Water, snow and rain repellent||Check Price|
|KevianClean 2-Pack Bundle||8 oz, 16 oz||USA||Cleaner, conditioner, and|
|Chamberlain's Leather Milk||6 oz, 12 oz||USA||All-natural, Premium |
|Leather Rescue||8.5 oz||USA||pH-balanced, non-toxic |
Conditioner and Restorer
|Obenauf's Leather Oil||8 oz, 16 oz||USA||Restore dry leather fibers||Check Price|
1. Leather Honey – The WOW Effect. Just use it with Cleaner
The product absorbs into the leather quickly and in most cases little to nothing. So nothing is left on the surface to wipe away. Any remaining product can be buffed out with a piece of terrycloth for more even distribution into the leather’s surface. Since the product is clear, there’s no risk of it discoloring even white or light-colored leather products; however, it should not be used on synthetic leather or suede.
It should be noted that Leather Honey is not a waterproofing agent, but it does make leather more water-repellent. The manufacturer recommends using the conditioner in conjunction with the Leather Honey Leather Cleaner for best results.
In light of the overall favorable user reviews and its decades-old reputation, we highly recommend Leather Honey to those looking for a reliable, effective leather conditioner. It could also be good for consumers who have certain chemical sensitivities, since it’s free of fragrance, silicone, mineral oil, and other potential triggers.
- Clear, odorless, non-toxic, and silicone-free. You can use Leather Honey without fear of it compromising your health.
- Comes with an unlimited 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you aren’t completely satisfied with the product, the manufacturer will issue a full refund.
- Has used the same formula for fifty years, so there are decades of customer satisfaction backing it up.
- Each treatment lasts for an average of six months, and a little of the product goes a long way, so one bottle can last you a very long time. Plus, you won’t have to constantly re-condition your leather products.
- Contains no wax, mineral oil, or petroleum byproducts.
- Some users have reported that furniture can absorb the product unevenly, resulting in leather with a two-toned appearance. As with any product, it’s important to spot-test it before applying it to any of your leather goods.
- The product can leave the surface of your leather goods feeling a little sticky in the aftermath, so exercise caution if you’re applying it to furniture or car interiors.
- There’s some disagreement about whether Leather Honey is effective on exotic leathers like crocodile or alligator, so know that your experience may vary.
2. Bickmore Bick 4 – The best for Exotic and Luxury Leather
A lot of users report that Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner applies smoothly, and since it’s lanolin-based and non-toxic it can be safely used with bare hands. Some find that it even leaves their skin feeling smoother and softer after use. It can also be applied to new shoes and boots to soften the leather and hasten the breaking-in process.
Since it doesn’t leave a sticky residue, we especially recommend this product for use on furniture, car interiors, or similar leather surfaces that you’ll touch frequently. It’s versatile enough that it can also be applied to clothes and shoes, and one application will last a long time.
- Great for restoring old leather to like-new condition, with high shine and exceptional flexibility and suppleness.
- Safe for use on all exotic leathers as well as synthetic leather.
- Can be used on leather products of all kinds, including furniture and car interiors
- One-step application makes it fast and easy to use.
- Wax-free, so it will not leave a sticky or gummy residue on leather surfaces.
- Cannot safely be used on suede, roughout, distressed, napped, or pre-treated leathers. Please use discernment when you’re applying the product to make sure you’re only using it on approved materials.
3. Chemical Guys SPI_109_16 Complete Leather Care Kit – Best All-Around Wise Solution for your Car Interior
It’s recommended that you apply the cleaner first using a microfiber cloth, followed by the conditioner. Most users find that the cleaner is exceptionally efficient at removing dirt and grease from leather, and that the conditioner leaves it feeling softer and more supple afterward.
This product is specifically designed for car interiors. However, because it can discolor fabric, it’s highly recommended that you allow it to absorb fully into the leather before attempting to sit on it to avoid damage to your clothing.
Complete Leather Kit – Chemical Guys Car Care
- The product has an artificial leather fragrance that most users find very pleasant.
- SPI_109_16 comes in a twin set with a cleanser, so you’re getting all of the products you need to keep your leather in tip-top shape in a single purchase.
- The conditioner adds an artificial leather fragrance to products, which not all users may enjoy.
- It will also discolor any fabric it touches prior to fully absorbing and drying, so you should probably reserve whatever you use to apply it for conditioning only.
- The product doesn’t perform as well at removing dirt from leather stitching as it does from the surface of the leather generally, so you may need to use it twice or in combination.
4. LeatherNu Complete Color Restoration & Repair – Best Leather Repair Kit
The seven intermix color dyes blend easily and let you perform touch-ups on worn out and discolored leather products. The compound can be used on virtually any leather surface, from clothing to furniture. Repairs are easy and involve trimming off any excess leather, using the repair compound to fill in gouges or holes, and then lightly sanding it to make the surface smooth again. Afterward, it can be conditioned as normal.
Overall, this one is highly recommended, particularly for leather goods with more than the usual amount of wear and tear. If conditioning alone isn’t enough to get them looking new again, this kit may be exactly what you need.
- The kit comes with all the materials you need to perform repairs on your leather.
- The seven different colors of dye can be used as-is or blended to match practically any color of leather.
- If used according to the instructions, the filler can help conceal even large, unsightly holes and make badly damaged leather surfaces look smooth and new again.
- The kit only comes with a limited number of texture papers, which are crucial for the repair process. Some users found it frustrating that more weren’t enclosed with the kit.
- It can be tricky to mix the different colored dyes to achieve a correct match. It will probably take some patience as well as trial and error to get it right.
5. TriNova Leather Conditioner and Restorer – Best Conditioner Formula
Like most of the other conditioners on our list, this product should be applied to the surface of your leather and then buffed out with a soft cloth. Once it fully absorbs, it will leave the leather with a wet-looking high shine. It can be used on exotic leathers, although it isn’t suitable for suede.
If you’re looking for a conditioner that will leave your leather goods looking brand new, this one is highly recommended by many users. It’s particularly great for furniture and leather car upholstery, and the fragrance will leave your car with that “new car smell” that’s so popular.
- Manufactured within the USA.
- Safe for use on all kinds of leather items, as well as exotic leathers.
- Free of any animal products. This conditioner is made entirely from a synthetic polymer.
- Comes highly recommended for furniture and automobile interiors alike.
- Not fragrance-free, so it may not be ideal for users who have chemical sensitivities.
- Not suitable for use on suede products.
6. Leather Cleaner & Conditioner 16 oz – Best Bundle with Leather Protection
Like the other conditioners on this list, this one should be applied with a soft cloth and buffed out, then allowed to absorb fully. If used correctly, users have reported that it can not only remove dirt and grease, but also help take dye transfer (like from new blue jeans) out of leather car seats.
If caring for your car’s interior is your biggest priority, this conditioner is probably your main go-to product on this list.
- This system offers cleaner, conditioner, and UV protectant designed specifically for use in cars.
- Comes with a 100% risk-free manufacturer’s guarantee. If you aren’t completely satisfied, you can return it for your money back, no questions asked.
- All of the ingredients are bio-based and fully non-toxic, so it’s safe to use.
- The UV protectant will help preserve your car’s interior from sun damage that can dry it out and cause cracking in the long term.
- Formulated specifically for cars, so not ideal for use on other kinds of leather goods.
- Not for use on suede.
7. Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Leather Conditioner and Cleaner – Best Non-Toxic Natural Formula
This product is best known for its deep conditioning properties. It can help buff even deep scratches out of leather and help restore moisture and shine to dried-out leather pieces. Simply use the enclosed applicator pad to buff it into the leather and let it absorb.
This is a multi-purpose conditioner, so you can not only use it in your car but on your other leather products. If you prefer to use one conditioner for all your leather items, this one will be ideal for you.
- All natural non-toxic ingredients so you know it’s safe for use.
- The only leather conditioner trusted by the Saddleback Leather Company
- Comes with its own reusable application pad to help reduce environmental waste.
- Should not be used on unfinished leather.
- May darken white or light-colored leathers. Spot test before use to avoid potential damage.
8. Leather Rescue Leather Conditioner and Restorer – Best Balanced Formula
In addition to moisturizing and restoring leather and helping to prevent cracks and UV damage, this conditioner dries in an hour or less and it can also be safely used on faux leathers as well as suede.
For its gentleness on leather as well as its pH calibration, we recommend this one highly.
- Non-toxic so it’s safe for use.
- Non-greasy and won’t leave any unpleasant residues behind.
- Penetrates deeply, leaving leather soft, supple, and moisturized.
- Helps to prevent cracking, drying, and UV damage.
- Can be used on faux leathers as well as exotic leather.
- Not fragrance-free, but most people find the leather scent very enjoyable.
9. Obenauf’s Leather Oil – Still Worth Trying
This one is primarily a conditioner, so if you want to cleanse your leather or introduce water repellent properties, you’ll want to use some of Obenauf’s other leather care items in conjunction with this one.
This one is oriented more toward products like leather boots and equestrian accessories. Though it can also be used on car interiors and furniture. However, due to the smaller container, you may require more of it than you will some of the other products on our list.
- Soaks in quickly and leaves a rich, moisturized sheen.
- Product comes with a built-in applicator lid.
- Leaves leather more pliant.
- Helps reduce the appearance of dryness and scratches.
- Will darken light-colored leather substantially, so it should be applied with care.
Leather Conditioners – Buyers Guide. Things to consider
Leather conditioners help to do exactly that. They re-introduce moisture back into dry leather, which helps keep it supple, smooth, and flexible. The added moisture in turn helps to reduce the appearance of unsightly cracks and discoloration. Conditioning can also help to reduce or remove the discoloration that occurs when our hands’ natural oils are transferred into the leather, or the dirt that’s left behind when we wear our leather goods outdoors. Finally, conditioning helps make leather water-repellent. That means it’s not 100% waterproof, but that it resists absorbing moisture if you’re caught in the rain.
See the Product
Each of the ten items on our list does all of the above, and some of them do even more. However, it’s important to carefully research the products you buy before using them, so you know whatever you choose is most compatible with your needs. It’s also important for avoiding inadvertent damage to your leather goods. Some conditioners, for instance, can discolor white or light-colored leather and make it appear substantially darker than it did originally. Other conditioners are suitable for use on standard cowhide, but not ideal for exotic leathers like alligator or ostrich. Some can be used on synthetic leathers while others can’t. It’s important to know all of this information before making your purchase. We hope this guide has helped you to do that!
Do you have a favorite leather conditioner that didn’t make it onto our list? Leave the name of it in the comments and you may see it on a future list!