One of the most important elements of the internal combustion engine is the fuel filter. If it operates correctly, the whole car functions well. Prevention of the abrasive resins and impurities penetration is one of the main tasks the filter has to do. Those things are formed because of the chemical reactions in the combustion chamber and fuel line. Nevertheless, there is a high paraffin content in diesel fuel, which becomes crystallized when the temperatures are negative. Therefore, it is very dangerous for an engine if those particles hit it.
For instance, if the fuel filter is of low-quality, it retains water poorly so that the water leaks through them easily. After that, it comes to injection system together with the fuel. Therefore, it disturbs the combustion process of the mixture, making the corrosion appear. This is due to the fact that even a little amount of water leads to the damages of the injection system. Consequently, it is necessary to have a filter of high quality. To help you, we prepared a list of top 5 best Duramax fuel filters to check out. Ready to review?
Best Duramax Fuel Filters on the Market
|ACDelco TP3018 Professional Fuel Filter with Seals|
Most Efficient and Economic
|Sinister Diesel CAT Filter|
Most Quiet and Long-Lasting
|AirDog 6.6 6.6L Duramax Diesel 100 GPH Lift Pump Filter|
|Baldwin Filters BF9882, Fuel/Water Separator|
|WIX Filters 33960 Heavy Duty Spin On Fuel Water Separator|
1. ACDelco TP3018 Professional Fuel Filter with Seals – Wonderful Protection Proven by Time
Among the products of this company are alternators and starters, conditioning products, brakes, belts and hoses, chassis, batteries, filters, emission control products, ignition and switches, fuel pumps, spark plugs, shocks and struts, thermostats and caps, steering and driveline products, water pumps, vehicle maintenance products, wiper products, window regulators, wires and cables, and some other parts. To sum up, the spectrum of its products is wide.
You can buy its products through stores, distributors, and online retailers around the globe. ACDelco’s the toppest competitor on the market is Gates. All in all, if you want to purchase the fuel filter, the quality of which is proven by time, choose this ACDelco product.
2. Sinister Diesel CAT Filter – Most Efficient & Economic
Efficient and Economic
This filter offers good filtration. Besides, the price is good for such a service. Thanks to that, your engine’s lifespan is prolonged. Also, the product is made to provide easier and more efficient replacement for fuel filters.
Great Quality and Design
The product features new design, offering effectiveness for a long time and unmatched durability. It is made with Billet High-Flow Aluminum and Blue-Anodized CNC so it serves for a long time.
The kit includes everything you need for safely and quickly replacement.
Meaning, such things as an adapter, hardware, nuts, bolts, and the filter itself come up with the kit so you don’t have to purchase them separately. Also, the warranty for the product is long-term so that you’ll be sure it will serve for a long time.
To conclude, the filter is recommended for those who would like to save money, keeping the quality. However, you should take into consideration the fact that you’ll have to install the filter carefully, otherwise, the diesel will leak.
3. AirDog 6.6 6.6L Duramax Diesel 100 GPH Lift Pump Filter – Most Quiet and Long-Lasting
Long Durability and Silent
The filter features is designed for long-term serving and is silent when operating. Besides, it is very efficient. There is a built-in adjustable regulator. If you are tired of air bubbles, getting to your fuel, this filter will help.
The product is very quick to connect if it comes to installation. This filter removes of the air/vapor from diesel fuel. Thanks to it, the diesel flow rates to engine become high. It also purifies the diesel fuel, that is reaching the engine. As a result, the injector and injection pump life increases, leading to fuel economy.
Consequently, this filter is recommended for those who do appreciate the fact it is durable, silent, and easy-to-install.
4. Baldwin Filters BF9882, Fuel/Water Separator – Great Filtration
The filter removes 90% of the particles, that are getting in it. Therefore, it is considered to provide the best filtration ever. The filters are made with metal, so you won’t break them easily and they will serve for a long time. What is more, the filter flows even below 0 temps. The Flow Rate of it is 1.5 gpm. The Retained Capacity is 16.43 grams.
However, the filters might come loose so that it will cause the vehicle to lose the fuel pressure. Even if you tighten it, there will be some small amount of air in it. Meaning, you might have to fix this issue yourself or ask a technician from time to time, tightening the filters.
All in all, if you are looking for the filter with great filtering abilities and long durability, choose this one. However, note that you might need to draw more attention to it when tightening the filters.
5. WIX Filters – 33960 Heavy Duty Spin On Fuel Water Separator – Long Success Story of the Company Guaranteeing Quality
Wix Filters is a company, which has become an innovator in filtration products since 1939. It is responsible for design, manufacturing and distribution of the products for automotive, diesel, industrial, agricultural, and specialty filter markets.
Its product line includes air, cabin interior, oil, coolant, fuel, hydraulic and transmission filters for trucks, automobiles, off-road equipment and also manufacturing applications.
The filter itself is simple if it comes to installation.
It has O-rings and there are 4 microns. The filter is made out of plastic. Despite the fact this material is rather fragile in comparison with other metal filters of various manufacturers, this filter fits in the car perfectly.
All things considered, if you want to buy a filter, which is reliable and its story of assistance is long, we recommend you this very WIX filter to take into consideration.
Buyer’s Guide to Choose the Best Filter
The signs when you have to change the fuel filter:
- The engine power is reduced
- There is an increase in fuel consumption
- When you are going uphills, the vehicle twitches
- The car begins braking itself
- The acceleration is poor
- The engine stalls or stumbles
- When you begin to drive, the power unit of your vehicle’s engine begins to vibrate. Also, there is a loss of power in the engine
Things you have to pay attention to when buying a filter:
- Manufacturers: Choose the one that offers the best quality.
- Cost: Do not look only for filters with the lowest price because sometimes it is better to pay more, but be sure that the quality is good. However, note that sometimes there may be discounts, even for very quality products.
- Overall look: You’ll have to find the code, either stamping or engraved, product number, and also the logo.
- Design and Packaging: If the manufacturer is serious, the packaging will be solid as well. There must be a logo and high-quality seal. The design should be striking and exclusive, ensuring the product is not a fake. Also, if the filter is of high quality, the metal procession should be solid so that there will not be any scratches, burrs, or chips.
- Gaskets: The gaskets are to be of high quality. Otherwise, if the product is fake, there won’t be any gaskets.
- Nice quality: Of course, a good filter should be made of rigid and dense material so that the quality is solid. All the parts inside the filter should be well-glued or assembled.
- Filtration Subtlety: This is such a parameter which determines the fraction size, which is guaranteed to be retained when you insert the filter. If it is a gasoline vehicle, the value is 10 microns, and if it is a diesel vehicle, the value is 5 microns.
- The guaranteed purification degree: This is a parameter, which is displaying the number of elements the filter is possible to hold. It is measured in percent. For example, if the model of a filter is very good, such parameter would be 98-99%.
When you are selecting the filter, it is recommended to concentrate on the technical parameters and engine brand. For instance, you would better focus on such things as internal and external diameter, diameters of outlet and also inlet connections, and the body frame dimensions. Besides, pay your attention to the filter’s completeness. To be more precise, the vast majority of manufacturers are adding O-rings that are not superfluous totally, when you are replacing the filter.
The structure of fuel filters for diesel engines is complicated. For example, the filter should retain the water, but it is prohibited to let it into the combustion chamber.
The diesel engine is rather sensitive, regarding the degree of the purification and quality of the fuel mixture.
In general, there are 3 stages of purification of diesel fuel: in a tank, in a primary fuel filter, and also in a fine filter.
The vast majority of manufacturers claim that you should change the filter after each 30 thousand kilometers. However, we should do it more often if the filters are made with plastic. It is to be mentioned that if the quality of a filter is not good, you would rather change the filter more often. Also, you need to do it, if the vehicle lost its agility and power and there was a dramatic increase in fuel consumption. Choosing the filter, do pay attention to such characteristics as heating element power, permissible pressure, filtration quality, capacity, and dimensions.
Is important to purchase high quality filter. Otherwise, you will face these problems:
- With poor filter paper quality there might be micro-contaminants separation, getting into the pump, and then to the engine’s injectors with fuel
- With coarse filtering material, trapping of the little impurities will be impossible and also little particles will pass through
- With low absorption capacity, filters might become clogged soon. Within short period of time, they will need to be replaced more frequently
- With clogged filter, the fuel run would be prevented from getting. Hence, you won’t even be able to start a car
- With too loose winding, the quality of the filter would be reduced to almost zero
- With torn fuel material, the fuel would become almost raw and then even be getting to the injection system
Pro Tip and Frequently Asked Questions:
Is it important to remove the inner rubber seal before it will fit?
Yes, it is. Do not remove the seal, which is in the middle of the filter. It will take you some effort in order to push the new filter into the place. Hence, the spin-on threads catch. It is recommended to try pushing the filter up before you turn the filter. Ensure the filter is not cross-threading, tightening it.
Are all the filters sealed in the factory plastic wrap with the oil rings?
Yes, they are.
Will you need a special tool in order to replace the filter?
Any tool, which is large enough to go around it, will work. Before removal, drain the filter by opening drain on the bottom. There is a large channel lock that will remove the water sensor at the bottom. However, be careful not to break it. Therefore, it will be perfect to utilize a tool, which is designed for replacing and removal.
Should this filter be changed more often now that it will be more efficient?
It depends on the weather. You won’t have any problems with it, if you change the filters regularly.
Will I need a water separator?
No, you won’t need it. Every time you will test the fuel, it will be water free.
All things considered, if you want your vehicle to work properly, you should always mind timely replacement and the level of quality of the filters. Apart from these factors, it is recommended to monitor the quality of the fuel and also refuel the engine at reliable gas stations only.
The statistics mention that more than fifty percent of breakdowns of a car are caused by the improper fuel quality. What is more, the mechanical impurities and water presence in the fuel can be causing damage. Therefore, we do recommend you to install the filters of high quality, only to avoid malfunctions and destructions. Also, note that sometimes you might face such issues like loose filters so that you will have to spend some time tightening them. However, to tell the truth, this is not a big deal because it takes only a few minutes. .
Also, it is important to note that the price of the filter should not be a priority factor when choosing the right one. Remember that sometimes it is better to pay more now in order not to encounter frequent troubles with your car functioning in the future. Therefore, be witty, smart, and wise, taking all the pieces of advice into consideration. Good luck finding the best filter for your car and enjoy the drive! Have a great day!